If enough people raise their voices, together we can make open access to health information the standard of care for all patients! Let your doctors know you want access to your notes! Check back for more materials soon.
Not sure what OpenNotes is?
Watch this video.
Ready to ask for your notes?
Here’s a letter you can send to your doctor to ask for open notes. You can also download it here.
Dear (name of your doctor, nurse, or other health care professional),
I’m writing to ask for online access to my full medical record, including the notes you write about our conversation after an appointment. I believe that having access to my notes will help me understand my health and health care better and help me partner with you in managing my health.
(Feel free to personalize your note. To get you started, here’s a list of some reasons patients want access to their notes.)
- I don’t always remember everything we discussed or the things I’m supposed to do between visits, and I think revisiting my notes will help.
- I think reading my notes will help me take better care of myself.
- I want to have a full account of all parts of my medical life.
- I want to make sure I’m on the same page with you for all aspects of my care.
- I would like to share my notes with someone who helps me manage my care.
There’s a lot more information about OpenNotes, including research, at www.opennotes.org.
Thank you for joining us!