How do you “do open notes” well?
Improving Patient Access to Notes on Patient Portals OpenNotes white paper (2018)
Insights from 5 early adopter health systems
Sharing notes with patients through portals has become nationally mandated, and we need now to ensure that open notes succeeds for both patients and clinicians.
The OpenNotes Implementation Case Study project examines how open notes functions at 5 health systems of varying characteristics. Each is sharing notes widely.
The principal aim is to understand what leads to excellent implementations…and how each system addressed challenges. Our ultimate goal is to share best practices widely and effectively.
“If a practice embraces transparent communication, the number of patients reading notes increases.”
- Principal Investigator: Maria Hägglund, PhD, Keane OpenNotes Scholar
- Co-Investigator: Deb Wachenheim, MPP, Assistant Director of Dissemination
- Co-Investigator: Amanda Norris, MDiv, MTS, Project Strategist
- Atrium Health, various locations, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia
- Citizens Memorial Medical Center, Missouri
- LA County Department of Health Services, Los Angeles, CA
- University Hospitals, Cleveland, OH
- University of Utah Health, Utah
Project supported by:
The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation fosters path-breaking scientific discovery, environmental conservation, patient care improvements and preservation of the special character of the Bay Area.