This project will test a scalable solution to improve transitions from hospital to home by developing, implementing and assessing an easily accessible feedback tool for patients and families.
MyDischarge Summary (MyDS) will invite patients recently discharged from the hospital medicine service at BIDMC or Boston Children’s Hospital (BCH) to log on to the patient portal, read their discharge documentation, and provide feedback via an easy to complete feedback tool. MyDS will ask patients about areas of confusion around diagnosis and care plans, any potential errors in the documentation, and issues around completing next steps. Patients and families can request to be contacted by the study team to help resolve any issues and feedback will be routed to the most appropriate people at the BIDMC or BCH.
Our team is made up of patients, researchers and clinicians working together to design, implement, and assess MyDS
- Principal Investigator: Catherine DesRoches, MD Director, OpenNotes, Associate Professor, HMS
- Co-Investigator: Sigall Bell, MD Phasellus Facilisis, MD, Title, Site
- Co-Investigator: Shoshana Herzig, MD
- Co-Investigator: Fabienee Bourgeois, MD
- Stakeholder group: David Feinbloom MD; Tim Anderson, MD; Alicia Clark, MD; Lauren Doctoroff, MD; Meg Anzalone, Paul Giannakoulis, Sue Maxcy
Partner Organization Details
BIDMC is partnering with Boston Children’s Hospital on this project BCH is a Harvard teaching hospital and nationally recognized pediatric healthcare organization.
Funding provided by
The project is funded by CRICO, the risk management arm of Harvard teaching hospitals. CRICO has funded important patient safety research from its members for over 20 years. We invest in efforts to improve the quality and safety of patient care. CRICO offers grant awards to stimulate research and patient safety interventions related to this goal.