Bringing open notes to a broad variety of patients in New York State
The NYHealth Foundation
True consumer empowerment begins when patients have access to the information they need to talk to their health care providers, share information, and develop a trusted relationship.
Since 2016, the NYHealth Foundation has supported efforts to expand open notes throughout New York state, including at geographically dispersed hospital systems.
NYHealth Foundation has awarded four grants to OpenNotes to provide technical assistance to New York-based organizations as they undertake their open notes projects. The third and fourth grants have focused on supporting organizations that have implemented note-sharing as required under the 21st Century Cures Act but want to learn how they can ensure their open notes initiatives are effective and valuable for both patients and providers.
- Advantage Care Health Centers
- Anthony L. Jordan Health Center
- BMS Family Health and Wellness Centers (Brownsville Community Development Corporation)
- Doctors United
- Jericho Road Community Health Center
- La Casa de Salud
- Mosaic Health
- Parker Jewish Institute for Health Care and Rehabilitation
- Saratoga Community Health Center
- St. John's Medical Group (Episcopal Health Services)
- Syracuse Community Health
- The Door - A Center of Alternatives
- Union Community Health Center
- VIP Community Services
- St. Barnabas Hospital
- BronxCare Health Integrated Services System Inc.
- Care For The Homeless
- Community Health Center of Richmond, Inc.
- GHVHS Medical Group, PC
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Institute for Family Health
- New York Quality Care (New York-Presbyterian Hospitals)
- Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center
- Northwell Health
- NYC Health + Hospitals
- Rochester Regional Health
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute
- SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
- SUNY Health Science Center at Syracuse
- University of Rochester Medical Center
- Upstate Family Health Center, Inc.
- Wykoff Heights Medical Center
Measuring Performance of OpenNotes Initiatives to Target Improvement Efforts NEJM Catalyst (2019)
NYHealth Foundation OpenNotes project team
Cait DesRoches, DrPH, Executive Director, OpenNotes, Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Anna Garcia, MD, Senior Project Manager, OpenNotes, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Isabel Hurwitz, Research Assistant, OpenNotes, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
The New York Health Foundation seeks to improve the health of all New Yorkers, especially people of color and others who have been historically marginalized. We are committed not only to making grants, but also to making a difference beyond our grant dollars: informing health care policy and practice, spreading effective programs that work to improve the health system and make it more equitable, serving as a convener of health leaders across the State, and providing technical assistance to our grantees and partners.